Our three month journalism internship at Roman Road LDN and provides hands-on experience of journalism and social enteprise.
This paid Internship is designed for emerging creative and media professionals who would like the opportunity to gain real-life experience in online magazine publishing and to use their skills for social action at the same time.
We are a small team with a varied output covering lifestyle, shopping, heritage, culture, human interest and news. Interns will get the opportunity to pitch ideas, have their own bylines, pound the pavements, and gain experience in research, news coverage, interviewing, features, reviews and social media.
As a social enterprise, we prioritise personal and professional development in the workplace, and the intern will benefit from our supportive team culture and one-on-one mentoring with Tabitha Stapely.
You will be assisting the Editorial Assistant and learning about:
- Social media management and how to increase engagement and followers
- Interviewing including vox pops on the street
- Research and pitching ideas
- Writing events, news and short stories
- Analysing data to gather insights and report on performance
- Compiling weekly newsletters and sending them out using Mailchimp
- Optimising images for the website (metadata)
- Optimising content for the website (metadata and onpage SEO)
- Compiling data and managing databases
Duration: three months (Sept and Dec), two and half months (Mar and Jun)
Starting: normally the internships run from September, December, March, June
Pay: £45 per day to cover expenses
Days: Four days per week
Times: 9am to 5.30pm
Location: Bow, London
We accept two-week academic placements completed as part of an accredited journalism course. These internships are not paid. Costs are expected to be covered by the university degree course arrangements.
We welcome Master’s students for longer placements too, whose courses require that they undertake specific projects, with structured outputs for assessment during their time working in the organisation. These projects are co-designed with the students where the focus is on the students area of interest primarily, but also on the needs of the organisation at the time.
- The duration of this work placements is a minium of two weeks and maximum of four weeks.
- Expenses are not provided.
Internship application process
If you would like to apply for an internship, please email Tabitha Stapely with your CV and tell us what interests you the most about working at Social Streets C.I.C.