- This event has passed.
Roman Road Summer Festival 2016
Sunday 24 July, 2016 @ 11:00 am - 7:00 pmFree
Roman Road Summer Festival is set to return for its third year and will showcase the best of the East End’s talent, heritage, culture and arts all provided in partnership with local businesses, schools and groups.
The festival will take place on Sunday 24th July between 11am and 7pm and includes all the below plus more being added all the time.
- 11am-12noon Music and inspiring talks from Sunday Assembly East End, our new and local branch of Sunday Assembly, the ‘global movement of wonder and good’
- 12.15-12.40 Rebirth Network Hip Hop dance display
- 13.00-13.20 Showmi Dance Company Bangladeshi folk and Bollywood dance display
- 13.35 -14.00 Roman Road Pop-Up Choir; come along and learn a smashing East End song or two. No experience or talent necessary.
- 14.20-15.20 Music from ELAM featuring local up and coming bands from the pioneering East London Academy of Music including Starr Kiely, Candy Darlings, Naomi Kimpenu
- 15.40 -16.10 Ruth Brown semi-finalist of The Voice
- 16.25-17.15 African blues and jazz musician Muntu Valdo
- 17.35-18.25 Funk and Motown band Freddy and the Freeloaders fresh from Glastonbury
- 18.45-19.00 Synchronised psychedelic dance performance from Action Men to round off the festival
Expect surprising appearances from the below all day long:
- The elegant FIPA stilt dancers, guaranteed to amaze the children and adults alike. Spot them on the hour at 13.00, 14.00 and 15.00.
- The Lady of the Mannah an ‘er best mate Doreen will be strolling dahn the road and poking their noses into uver people’s business
- The Cockney Sparras will be roaming and roving and will amaze you with their multitudinal talents and hijinks
- Skipping games – come and join the skipping games and sing a song or two while you’re at it
- Arthur the Juggler whose act will include juggling, diablos and hooping and other fun…
- Roving magician – Professor Palmermoff will astound you with his tricks but only if you can find him!
- Spot the Suffragettes – our Suffragette will be in full regalia drumming up support for the Bow Suffragettes art trail campaign
Market and street food
- Original art, textiles, ceramics and prints from designer-maker emporium Urban Makers East with over 40 stalls from London’s coolest designer-makers including Etsy Award Winner L’Etabli
- Street food from Yard Market regulars Roasticini as well as Croquetas Vigar and Market Grill.
- The Big Roman Road Raffle: win a hamper of goodies from local shops
- Your views taken at the Roman Road Neighbourhood Plan stall
- Licensed bar
Being a community festival in the true East End of London, Cockney is a big theme of the festival and this year we’re holding Cockney classes to learn the lingo in our Mini Marquee alongside Bangladeshi folk dance, magic, hip hop and Bingo.
- 11.20-11.40 Cockney Sparras sword-swallowing, saw playing and walking on glass.
- 11.45-11.50 Sarah & Sarah’s amazing acrobatics
- 12.00-12.30 Cockney rhyming slang class: come and learn the lingo from the experts
- 12.50-13.20 Rebirth Network dance workshop
- 13.30-14.00 Showmi Dance Company Bangladeshi folk and Bollywood dance workshop
- 14.10-14.30 Roman Road Bingo with AgeUK
- 14.30-14.50 Cockney Sparras sword-swallowing, saw playing and walking on glass.
- 15.00-15.30 Cockney Class: second chance to pick up some unmissable rhyming slang
- 15.40-16.40 Magic Show with Professor Palmermoff
- 16.45-17.05 Cockney Sparras sword-swallowing, saw playing and walking on glass.
- 18.00-18.20 Cockney Sparras amaze and amuse one last time!
- 12pm to 2pm Bow Suffragettes guided tour leaving from the Idea Store – first come first served
- 3pm to 5pm Best Indie Shops on Roman Road guided tour leaving from the Idea Store – first come first served
- Lots more to come and look out for fringe events held at local shops too!