This paid Internship at local news magazine Roman Road LDN is designed for emerging creative and media professionals who would like the opportunity to gain real-life experience in online magazine publishing and to use their skills for social action at the same time.
Most applicants will have completed journalism training to BA or MA level or be career changers with transferrable skills.
We are a small team with a varied output covering lifestyle, shopping, heritage, culture, human interest and news. Interns will get the opportunity to pitch ideas, have their own bylines, pound the pavements, and gain experience in research, news coverage, interviewing, features, reviews and social media. As a social enterprise, we prioritise personal and professional development in the workplace, and the intern will benefit from our supportive office culture and one-on-one mentoring with Tabitha Stapely.
You will be assisting the Deputy Editor and learning about:
– Assisting the editorial team with research, interviewing and writing where necessary
– Writing stories, progressing from event listing, to news stories to feature articles
– Social media management, alternating from being the lead on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
– Analysing data on Google Analytics and social platforms to gather insights and report on performance
– Compiling weekly newsletters and sending them out using Mailchimp
– Processing and optimising images for the website on Photoshop
– Optimising content for the website using the Yoast software (metadata and onpage SEO)
Duration: three-and-half months
Pay: £50 per day
Days: four days per week
Times: 9 am to 5.30 pm
Location: Bow, East London
Applications: Friday 31 March 2023
Start date: Tuesday 11 April 2023
Social Streets C.I.C is a not-for-profit news and media organisation based in Roman Road, Bow, using journalism to strengthen the local community.