Colour Factory © VisionSeven
LocalLocal economyNews

Colour Factory nightclub in Hackney Wick retains license after Trei Daley stabbing

Colour Factory in Hackney Wick will retain its license after 26-year-old Trei Daley was fatally stabbed outside its doors, but was told it must improve security.

An East London nightclub where Daley partied before being fatally stabbed last month has been allowed to stay open but must follow 16 extra conditions from the Met Police, including the re-training of security staff and using an ID scanner for documents such as passports and driving licences.

Daley had gone to an event at popular nightclub, Colour Factory in Queen’s Yard, Hackney Wick, before he and another man, 24, were knifed in the early hours of Saturday, February 11.

The two victims turned up at an East London hospital with knife wounds and Daley from Bromley later died in hospital from a chest wound, a post-mortem examination confirmed.

Christopher Appiah-Blay, 35, was charged on Tuesday, 14 February, with murder and possession of an offensive weapon and has been remanded in custody.

Mawien Mawien, 38 was charged with murder, wounding of another man and possession of a bladed article and appeared at Highbury Magistrates Court on Friday, 24 February.

A trial has been set for 2 April 2024 at the Old Bailey. A third man, 20, was arrested on Saturday, 18 February, on suspicion of murder and has been bailed to a later date in May.

In early March the LDRS reported that the East London nightclub was to have its licence reviewed by the council following the fatal stabbing.

The Met Police had submitted a licence review for the club following concerns about its “current conditions and practices”.

According to an investigation conducted by the Met, it said: “some of the customers going into Colour Factory have not been searched on entry or had to produce ID.

The force added: “Failing to search customers or allowing them into the venue with ID runs the very serious risk of allowing weapons and drugs into a place where they can be used, with very serious consequences.”

An interim hearing was held on February 22 and Tower Hamlets Council’s licensing sub-committee decided to add conditions that had been agreed upon between the police and the licence holder until the full review hearing.

These included the re-training of SIA staff on searching customers and their bags before the reopening of the Colour Factory, and putting in an ID scanner, which must be used to scan photographic identification documents, as well as creating a detailed and documented security plan.

Other conditions police wanted the Colour Factory to follow included a record detailing all refused sales of alcohol and that if a serious assault happens on the premises, the police and London Ambulance Service (where appropriate) are called immediately and all front of house must complete welfare and vulnerability awareness training every six months.

Tower Hamlets Council’s licensing sub-committee decided on Tuesday (March 14) to grant even more conditions on the licence and heard from the Met Police and a representative on behalf of Nathanael Williams, who is the designated premises holder and owner of Colour Factory.

Mr Williams’ disappointment that ‘the tragedy had been associated with the venue’ was expressed by his representative, who said the conditions agreed with the police since February’s hearing meant the venue had ‘tightened up’ its policies and had shown police their training and searching procedures to make sure officers were satisfied with the steps taken.

A council report that discussed the meeting, noted: “There was no evidence that the weapon had been inside the premises at any point.

“Since the interim steps hearing [February 22] there had been discussions between the licence holder and the police, which had resulted in a further set of agreed conditions which the sub-committee understood to replicate the conditions imposed as an interim step, subject to some minor amendments.”

The report added: “The premises had re-opened safely since the incident, without any cause for concern, and in those circumstances the sub-committee considered that imposing the agreed conditions was the appropriate measure to take in the particular circumstances.”

A total of 16 conditions, agreed upon by the police and Mr Williams, was granted by the council’s licensing sub-committee.

A statement on behalf of Colour Factory said: “The company reiterates its regret and apology to all parties for the tragic incident which occurred outside this premises.

“Colour Factory has never had any formal enforcement action imposed against the premises during its operation under the company, and is extremely confident it can continue to operate with minimal authority intervention.

“The company is determined to continue to operate a safe and welcoming premises to all through the provision of a fresh package of conditions to ensure the smooth running of the premises moving forwards.

“It is submitted that the conditions proposed, which have been agreed with the police, will enable the premises to be a shining example of an exceptionally well-run events space and allow the premises to promote the licensing objectives.”

Read more of our news, including an article about Mayor Lutfur Rahman: the man behind London’s most ambitious anti-austerity budget.

Victoria Park Bowls Club

Sustainable Makers of London

Save Our Safer Streets Bethnal Green

Wapping Hockey Club


The Illusion of Depth at Victoria Baptist Church, Bow

Your local news is at risk

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.